BISHOP’S CASTLE CIVIC SOCIETY ANNUAL AWARDS 2022 will be held
at 7.30p.m. on Thursday 27th OCTOBER in the METHODIST HALL,STATION STREET,
Bishop’s Castle. The speaker will be Dr. Frank Ryding Further Details to follow – SAVE THE DATE !
Bishop’s Castle Civic Society Annual Awards 2019 THE SPEAKER was BE Dr. Henry F. Oakeley and his illustrated talk was on:- Scurvy. Its cause (a genetic mutation) and cure (vitamin C). From Scurvy grass for Caesar Germanicus, to chilli peppers for Szent-Gyorgi – via famous voyages, ghastly wars, polar explorers, lemons and limes and why air conditioning and dancing classes were thought to prevent it.
AGM Wednesday 12th June 2019 to be held in the Methodist Hall, Station Street at 7.30p.m. A film of “The Charter Celebrations 1973” will be shown as a tribute to Dr. G. St. John Penney.
A VISIT TO MYNDTOWN CHURCH has been arranged for Sunday 11th August 2019 followed by a picnic. Please arrive at 1p.m. for the picnic followed by the visit led by John Burt. Everyone welcome. Lifts can be arranged please contact the Secretary.
BISHOP’S CASTLE CIVIC SOCIETY ANNUAL AWARDS
will be held on Tuesday the 6th November 2018 at 7.30p.m in the Methodist Hall in Station Street. The Speaker will be Mr John Rimmer who will give an illustrated talk on the proposed renovation of the Bishop’s Castle Railway Weighbridge site in Station Street.
AGM Thursday 14th June 2018 to be held in the Methodist Hall, Station Street at 7.30p.m. with guest speaker John Burt who will give an illustrated talk on “The Restoration of Myndtown Church”. New Members Welcome and Visitors Welcome Admission £2.00
National Heritage Day Saturday September 8th 2018 from 2.00p.m to 4p.m
1. We are giving guided tours of the renovation of the old Bishop’s Castle Railway Weighbridge site at the bottom of Station Street.
2. The Cruck House at 8 – 10 Church Street will be open for tours by kind permission of Nigel and Michelle Gasper. Tours will take place every half hour (8 people per tour)
Visit to Corvedale Churches led by Dr. John Leonard will be held on Wednesday 12th September 2018 starting from Diddlebury Church at 3.30p.m. This will be followed by a meal in a local hostelry. Further details to follow.
Annual awards meeting held early November, also with guest speaker
Visits are arranged to places of interest locally usually followed by a drink or a meal together after the tours.
Bi-annually an event in bishop’s castle for heritage open day is arranged.
Previous visits include: –
- Three Tuns Brewery
- Crown Green Bowling Club
- The Porch House
- Bank House
Speakers at recent meetings include: –
- Chris Neil, County Organiser of the National Gardens Scheme
- Sula Rayska on The restoration of Flounders Folly
- Rev. Richard Hayes on Lord Hill’s Column, Shrewsbury
- Dr.Henry F. Oakeley on 17c Apothecaries, their Medicine – what they contained and what they treated
- Simon Holloway on Corrugated Iron – Building the Frontier
Past guided visits
- Flounders Folly
- Montgomery and The Old Bell Museum
- Hopton Castle
- Churches of South Shropshire
- Ludlow Town Centre
A TOWN TRAIL – Illustrated Booklet which can be purchased from The Town Hall.